Property Rentals and Sales Privacy Notice
About this Privacy Notice
We value the personal data that individuals, clients and organisations choose to share with us and we take their privacy very seriously.
This Privacy Notice sets out the categories of personal data we may ask you to supply, why we need that data, how we will use it and how long we will retain it.
We are a data controller for the purpose all personal data we process and the person responsible for our data protection compliance is Jacquie Trott.
We undertake to draw this Privacy Notice to the attention of all relevant parties, and should you engage our services we will take it to mean that you are satisfied with its contents. Should you have any concerns or wish to discuss the contents of this notice further, please contact Jacquie Trott at email@example.com. We may update this notice from time to time and we recommend you refer to it regularly.
What personal data might we need?
We will only collect the personal data necessary to facilitate our interaction with you, such as information that is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us and information without which we would not be able to provide you with the requested services.
Categories of personal data we may collect from you include:
- Contact details – name, address, telephone numbers & email addresses
- Identity documents
- Banking details
- Financial information concerning money laundering
- Maintenance Contracts
We do not seek to obtain personal data that falls outside the scope of this Privacy Notice and we kindly request that you do not furnish us with any unnecessary personal data. In accordance with data protection legislation we may destroy personal data supplied to us where we do not believe we have a sufficient legal basis to retain it. It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
Why do we need your personal data?
We process your personal data on the following bases:
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract we have with you, such as us providing you with professional rental & sales services;
- Processing is required of us by law, for example, we are obliged to check your identity;
- Processing is undertaken for a legitimate interest pursued by us. For example, if we already provide you with a service we may contact you with another relevant service that we provide; and/or
- Processing is undertaken on the basis that you have consented to said processing.
How will we use your personal data?
We may use your data in the following ways but only for the purpose for which it was collected:
- To enable suitable references to be collected and assessed;
- To provide the services detailed on our website;
- To inform utility companies of occupation and vacation of properties;
- To comply with our legal obligations; and or
- To allow contact from maintenance contractors/tradesmen at your request or where we have informed you that maintenance needs to be undertaken on the property.
Third party processors
From time to time, only where necessary to facilitate our relationship with you, we may transfer your personal data to our third- party data processors. Processors have obligations under the data protection legislation with regards to your data as well as obligations in accordance with their contractual relationship with us. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions. These third-party data processors include:
- Tradesmen, upon your request to attend to maintenance issues;
- Outsourced referencing agency in order to carry out reference checks;
- Utility companies to inform of occupation and vacation of a property and to provide meter readings;
- Tenancy Deposit Scheme TDS, landlords are legally obliged to put a tenant’s deposit in a government-backed tenancy scheme;
- Managing Agents of properties, to carry out their obligated duties under the terms of a headlease;
- Insurance companies specific to the property;
- Local Council in connection to Local Housing Allowance; and/or
- For sales, Solicitors and associated professional services necessary to facilitate the transaction.
Where we have already provided you with our services in some way we may contact you with regards to other services or promotions that we believe you may be interested in. If you do not wish to hear from us, please let us know.
Retaining your personal data
We have legal obligations as a company, an employer and a provider of estate agency services to retain records containing personal data, even after the main purpose of our relationship has ended, for example where we acted for you regarding the sale of your house and that sale has now completed. In accordance with our obligations, legal documents will be retained for 6 years, after which archived files are destroyed. Nevertheless, for all personal data, once our obligation to retain the data ceases, we will cease processing and destroy it.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. Details of retention periods for different aspects of your personal data are available in our retention policy which you can request from us by contacting Jacquie Trott.
We maintain appropriate security measures to prevent the misuse, loss or disclosure of your personal data.
Transferring data outside of the EEA
If you are a tenant we may transfer some of your personal data to a landlord who resides outside of the EEA. We will only do this where it is necessary for the performance of a contract we have entered into with you or where necessary for the performance of a contract made in your interests between us and a landlord. In some instances, this transfer will be necessary in order for us to provide you with the specific service you have requested. If you do not wish us to transfer your data outside of the EEA in the circumstances mentioned, we may not be able to provide you with our services or we may not be able to facilitate the letting of your preferred property. We will bring it to your attention where a transfer of your data outside of the EEA is due to occur.
You have the right to access the personal data we hold for you and the right to request that your personal data be rectified, erased or transported to another data controller. You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances. You may also request that we erase all your data that we hold or that we restrict processing. Should you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact Jacquie Trott.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Property Rentals is a member of a redress scheme provided by The Property Ombudsman.
Property Rentals is part of the National Federation of Property Professionals Client Money Protection Scheme.